Explore Scientific Ultra Light Dob 16" Telescope
Newtonian reflector. Aperture: 406mm. Focal length: 1826mm
No telescope type has influenced amateur astronomy as radically as the Dobsonian telescope. Before the introduction of this telescope type by John Dobson the vast majority of amateur telescopes were small inadequate refractors on shaky mounts – just good enough to show the polar regions on Mars or the rings of Saturn. Bigger telescopes, like the Schmidt-Cassegrain telescopes, were restricted to the relatively small group of amateurs that could afford them. The brilliant combination of simple – but effective – mechanics and the largest aperture available led to a worldwide triumph of this concept. No other telescope type offers you so much light for your money as a good Dobson.
We have taken the motto "held together by gravity and driven by yoghurt power" and offer a modern version of the classic – designed by amateur astronomers for amateur astronomers. Despite its large aperture the telescope can be transported easily even in small cars and is assembled within minutes without tools. The construction was optimized for maximum rigidity with a minimum of mass. The combination of big altitude wheels and an optimized aluminium-sandwich construction allows for small movements even at high magnifications. The focus position is already positioned to accept our coma-corrector. The ideal workhorse for the deep-sky enthusiast. A telescope with 406mm aperture gathers more than 3300-times more light than the naked eye. Details on planetary surfaces stand out even to unexperienced observers, and countless deep-sky objects show details. Bright globular clusters are resolved down to the core and the view of the lunar terminator will provide an unforgettable experience.
- Truss Dobsonian telescope in full aluminium construction
- Slider bearings made from TEFLON and GFK for smooth and precise movement
- Improved main mirror cell with completely redesigned mechanics
- Altitude bearings with new designed brake and friction system
- Larger feet to improve stability
- Universal finder slot to enable an easy finder upgrade
- Counter-weight system included – 2 x 1.0kg
- Quick-lock fasteners with new spring-loaded design for comfortable use
- Powder-coated yellow altitude wheels to improve durability
- Laser engraved central mark on main mirror
- Dust protection caps for open aperture and eyepiece holder
The kit includes:
- Truss Dobsonian telescope
- LED finder with standard finder slot
- Stray light shield for secondary cage
- Main mirror collimation tool
- Battery compartment with bag for fans
- Counter-weights 2 x 1.0kg
- Extension tube for focuser
- Reducer 2"/1.25"